Monday, May 2, 2011

Last night

A month ago today, I was on a plane to California...

Last night must have been a page designer nightmare!

I'm really glad I wasn't working last night. I mean, imagine having the front page all laid out, possibly even sent to the printer.

And then you get the news that Osama bin Laden has been killed.

Rearranging time! No, more like destroy everything and start over. Read the New York Times' story about its front page, {here}.

It's been really slow, but if you're lucky, you can look at newseum.org to see today's front pages around the country, and the world.

Are there more important things to think about than how the page looks in the morning? Yes. Most definitely. We need to worry about security and possible retaliation.

But everyone sees the event through their own eyes, their own frame of reference. This is my frame of reference: a journalist's, because that is what I'm doing now. No, I won't be doing that in a few years down the road probably, but I still appreciate what that life is like.

And I appreciate what our servicemen and women have done for our country. I appreciate their leaders. I appreciate our soldiers' wives, children, parents, for what they go through. I am grateful to live in this country--for the freedom of the press, and freedom of religion, and so many more freedoms.

The battle isn't over, but it still feels really good that he is gone.

-Meg

No comments: