Saturday, May 7, 2011

I want to talk about this--

I have struggled over how to react to Osama bin Laden's death. At first, I was just super happy, and I had to go tell everyone in my house to turn on the television.

But as I kept watching, I alternated betweens feelings of elation and pride--seeing crowds break into the National Anthem in front of the white house--and worry about those still in danger. Whenever I saw his face, I felt justice knowing he was gone, but I still felt anxious about other terrorists and our soldiers. I never once felt that celebrating this was wrong. It didn't even cross my mind.

Then people all over social networking sites were condemning those who were celebrating the death of another human. This made me feel really guilty. I know the Christian thing to do is to be sad for him and morn for his soul. And I do believe that Christ's atonement covers even bin Laden's sins.

But the truth is, I am happy he is dead.

I'm celebrating because the world's most wanted man can no longer hurt anyone else. I am celebrating death of one person's hate and desire to strike terror in the hearts of men.

There are still hate and terror, but one person who embodied those attributes has met his end. I rejoice at this.

I reflect on my own life. I want to kill those vices inside of me. I want my impatience to die. I want my hate to die. I want my fear to die. I want my selfishness to die. Because if they don't die, they will kill me.

-Meg

1 comment:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

If it makes you feel any better.... I found myself morbidly and sadistically glad that he saw his death coming. That it wasn't just an explosion but that he had time to say, "Oh *!@^$, they got me." I'm not sure if I feel guilty about this or not.